Wildlife Farming, Breeding, Ranching, Game sanctuary and Zoos
Wildlife farming, breeding, ranching, game sanctuary and zoos:
Wildlife farming and other similar establishments are open for all investors and are done for the following purposes:-
- Increasing the volume of export quota in the live animal trade,
- Promotion of urban tourism
- Conserve biological diversity as the operation reduce wild off take.
- Poverty alleviation since these establishments generates revenue.
- Promote opportunities for research and educational purposes.
How to apply for Wildlife Farming and other similar establishments
- Applicants are required to register their projects with the National Environmental Management Council (NEMC).
- Projects with minimal environmental impacts are awarded with Environmental Impact Assessments Certificates (EIAC)
- Applicants awarded with EIAC submit formal applications (project write up and feasibility study) to the Director of Wildlife indicating land ownership status, expertise, availability of basic requirements such as water and food.
- All applications are scrutinized by a special committee comprised of experts from various groups of stakeholders.
- The successful applicants are issued with Trophy Dealer License class 17, which deals with wildlife farming and other similar establishments.
Procedure for animal capture and export for Wildlife Farming and other similar establishments
- Capture permits for parent stock (type and numbers of animal species) are issued to successful projects there after Ownership Certificate are issued to the owners for the parent stock and new born.
- Inspection of wildlife farms and other similar establishments is conducted quarterly to verify mainly on compliance of project owners to the existing laws and regulations also to verify increase and decrease of animal species through morality and fatality.
- Physical inspection is conducted in wildlife farms and other similar establishments before issuance of export permit to verify type and number of animal species as related to Ownership Certificate and other relevant documents.
- Animals are also inspected at the exit points (airport and harbor) before export.